Thursday, July 2, 2009

Thing #17

When I started viewing some of these podcasts, I didn't see that they would work very well for me as an educational tool since I teach first grade. A lot of the math and social studies podcasts that I explored were geered toward the older students. I did come across a few good ones that I liked and thought that I could use in my teaching. One of them was DragonflyTV. This was probably one of my favorites. I liked how it had many different podcast episodes on many elementary age appropriate topics. Not only did it show podcasts, it also had science experiments and games. The categories to pick from to view were: Brain and Body, Earth and Space, Living Things, Matter and Motion, and Technology and Inventions. The kids would really like this site and would learn so much from getting to view it in the classroom.

Another podcast that I liked was Why? The Science Show For Kids. This was a podcast in which kids could ask questions and Dr. Dave Brodbeck would answer them on their level. He gave very explicit answers so the kids could understand how things work. I viewed the podcast of How do bees make honey? It was very interesting to listen to his answer. I think the kids could learn a great deal through this podcast especially if it is a topic in which you are trying to teach in the classroom.

I also really enjoyed exploring Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tricks. This one is very good on teaching the rules about grammar issues. This would be great for teachers to view to get a better understanding about the different rules that you are going to teach in the classroom. It could also be good for the kids to view. Sometimes hearing it from another person makes it easier to understand. I will be using this site when I have questions myself about grammar usage or rules.
I added two of these podcasts to my google reader so that I could keep getting updates about new podcasts. I want to keep updated so that I can use these these podcasts to help my kids get a better understanding of what they are learning in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment